Welcome

You can access this blog page though http://www.lacson.zzn.com/

Surprise yourself --discover what to collect for art, chess and engineering (click here)


Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Night I Whacked My Alter Ego, Part II


(If you haven’t read Part I, please click here first)

The rule of the match is to always play from a Najdorf position. He showed his closed hands so I can try to pick which hand has the white pawn. This is a standard chess practice of deciding who will get to play the white pieces first. Unfortunately for him (my alter ego), he is really me so I knew which hand he had hidden the white pawn. “Sucker!” I uttered with a grin on my face when I picked the hand where the white pawn is. “So you think you’re smart eh? Let’s see how well you’ll play.” -was his sarcastic reaction.

So the match began. Oh what a very hard experience! Playing him was the hardest games I have ever played in my entire life! I thought it’s just going to be easy to beat him because everything he will think he won’t be able to hide from me. But I forgot that I cannot also hide my thoughts from him.

The match ended in a draw. Of the total four games, we both lost one game as black using the Najdorf defence. From here an argument started. “See? Najdorf defence is not reliable!” He claimed furiously. “I have to disagree. We only lost with the Najdorf defence because we haven’t really mastered it yet sufficiently.” I said. He instantly popped his eyes and irritatedly said, “How would you know, you are just an alter ego!” Shocked and angered by his claim I said, “Excuse me? I am the alter ego? What a nut case you are! I am the one who is real, the real Joemar.” He started laughing and said, “What? So there are two real Joemar’s now? That can’t be right. There can only be one!” At this point I just knew that he intends to get rid of me by attacking me with a long sweeper handle lying just beside him.

Everything now happens very quickly. As he reach for the sweeper handle I was fortunate to remember the vacuum cleaner I rarely keep under the table. I hurriedly grab its long steel handle as my weapon. The scramble movements created strong vibrations of the whole place. So strong that it made some objects fall out of place and consequently triggered the camera to shoot! We were caught at the moment where I barely blocked his first attack (see photo above).

There I was, fighting for my life and is getting exhausted fast. He was gasping for air too. The fight continued but no one was able to hit the other. Eventually we both realised that even in fighting we are still aware of what the other is thinking therefore we will always know where to block. After the realization, an idea came to mind -that I should close my eyes instantly and swing the vacuum handle like crazy! Only a few swings with eyes closed and “Whacked!” It felt that I got him on the head.

I slowly opened my eyes, looked around, and there was no sight of him. I have survived!

But suddenly I realized that I was lying on the floor and felt a terrible pain at the back of my head. It was an enormous lump! So how did I end up lying on the floor having a huge lump on the head?

It became apparent. Hitting him is actually hitting myself!


The next morning I told Chris, my workmate, of my ordeal with my alter ego. Wanting to show Chris the photos I asked him if he believes my story. To my surprise he said, “Yes, because my own alter ego has come to work with me today and is just in the next room.” “Wow! Can you call him so we can take photo of us three?” I asked with excitement. “Certainly!” He said. And so we did (see photo above).


Author's note:


The above story is just "made up" and is only for humour :) The photos were done on a special camera.

Related video below.

No comments: